Friday 5 April 2013

String Quilt Cat Mat - Easy Street Parking Lot!

Way back in January, I mentioned that I had plans to do a project with the scraps from my Easy Street Quilt, the online 2012 Mystery Quilt over at Quiltville.  However,  I woke up planning to do a machining project, and instead ended up with ALL my patchwork and quilting fabric out of my cupboard.  I had decided to reorganised my fabric stash. Several months down the line, I have revisited my original plans, and this week have produced a lovely new Cat Mat, which I am calling “The Easy Street - the Parking Lot”. 

String Quilt, Easy Street - The Parking Lot
String Quilt, Easy Street - The Parking Lot
In Bonnie K Hunter's book 'String Fling', she introduces her scrap user system, and a technique of using pages from an old telephone book as the foundation for stitching small scrap fabrics.  This was the technique I wanted to try out, but as my paper alternative, I had put aside the Christmas edition of the Radio Times, which by removing the centre staples has given me a double width of paper to stitch.  It has also highlighted to me how much of the Christmas period I spent on the Easy Street Quilt – I don’t  think I watched any TV!
2012 Christmas Edition Radio Times Cover Snowman Raymond Briggs
2012 Christmas Edition Radio Times - String Foundation Piecing
I did do a rough design in my Electric Quilt software, but I haven’t followed it slavishly, and instead have used my usual technique of muddling through trying to get everything the right size.  My colour scheme for Easy Street Quilt was Purple, Red and Green, with a Tan background, and most of my leftover scraps are pretty small, so my paper strips are only 3” wide. 
Easy Street Quilt Scraps Red Purple Green Fabadashery
Easy Street Quilt Scraps
Sewing the strips was easy on the machine, and I managed to get a production line going. I found it was better to remove the paper before tidying up the edges, as once cut, the stitching seam was not as strong to resist the ripping of the paper. 
String Foundation Piecing Pfaff 2058
String Foundation Piecing
As regular Followers will know, most of my work lately has focussed on hand stitching my Nearly Insane Quilt, so it seems like an age since I sat down at the machine (Note To Self: I really do need to set up a Leaders and Enders project, especially if Bonnie rolls out another Mystery Quilt at the end of the year!)  For the quarter square triangles, I tried to use the clever technique I used on my Broken Dishes Cat Mat, but my scrap pieces were too small and I had to cobble most of them together in a more ‘traditional’ method. 
Eventually, the quilt top came together, and was ready for quilting. 
I had some scrap polyester wadding to use, and I still had plenty of the Kansas Troubles 'Bound to the Prairie' fabric which I used for the backing on my Irish Chain Quilt, which I have used for the backing. Up close it is a lovely little print, but from a distance it looks like a murky porridge – however, murky porridge is good for hiding any less refined stitching when machine quilting…
Quilt Sandwich being Machine Quilted Pfaff 2058
Quilt Sandwich being Machine Quilted
My actual Easy Street Quilt has yet to be quilted, and part of this project was to gain some strength experience of machine quilting to tackle this large project.  I was recently inspired by a little quilting video tutorial on the Green Fairy Quilts blog, by Judi Madsen, which although aimed at long arm quilting, highlighted to me the importance of marking your quilt, and planning the design head.  Also, I decided to abandon the worry of getting the tension right for free machine quilting, and stuck with using my straight stitch with the feed dogs up.   I went for a simple channels of stitching in the squares, rotating it by 90 degrees on each quarter. 
Quilt Detail Fabadashery
Quilt Detail
I think for this little quilt, the quilting has worked well, and enhances the pattern nicely – just as it should be.   This cat mat is only about 20 inches square, but manoeuvring it on my domestic machine was not as easy as you would want it to be, which makes me think – how realistic is it going to be to get the full size Easy Street Quilt under it?  I think I need to sit down and work out a design, and be realistic about how long it is going to take.  One assumes that using a machine means it will be quick, but I think on this occasion, I need to put that assumption to one side.
To finish it off, I pieced together some binding from the scraps, machine stitching it on the back, and hand sewing it on the front. 
Cat Kitty sitting on quilt
Suzi the Cat on the new Cat Mat
I am really pleased with how it has turned out, but think I have enough projects in this colour combination for now.  It did reduce the scraps, but there are still plenty more.

The good news is, the Quality Control Department has already signed it off.

Featuring Feline Friday and Crazy Mom Quilts!

9 comments:

  1. Very cute. I'm glad the cat approves! I like the quilting on the quarter-square triangles very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murky porridge is also good for hiding tabby furs. LOL! Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little quilt. I may have to try that little bit of paper foundation. I love the strips that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the design and your quilting on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable cat mat!! And I'm glad Suzi has signed off on it's quality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use up leftover scraps from another quilt and also give you something to practice quilting on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet! I love the strings combined with the beautiful printed pale fabrics. Suzi looks very comfortable and contented. Wonderful all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! It appears that Suzi thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzi certainly looks contented her new cat mat. This is really very pretty. I have never tried this method of piecing before although I have used muslin for the foundation for string quilts and I have done paper piecing. I am going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete