Wednesday 17 April 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 62

Block 62 - Nearly Insane Quilt, with Cornerstones and Sashing
Block 62 - Nearly Insane Quilt, with Cornerstones and Sashing
Here is Block 62 of the Nearly Insane Quilt, which I finished stitching last night.  For this picture I have set it against the cornerstones and sashing, just to give you an idea of how it will look when it is complete in the whole quilt.  I have used this block to showcase my Mama Said Sew Moda fabric, and a very fine red and cream zig zag fabric which looks more pink from a distance.

It was not the easiest of blocks to do.  There is a lot of BIAS going on in this block - thank heavens for the paper templates.  I am hoping that once I get the sashing on, it will hold it all in place.  Some of the triangular 'looking' pieces are actually quadrilaterals, and not asymmetrical.  This meant I had to be extra careful to make sure everything was the right way around, so I carefully laid them out in separate piles.  But Sparky came to help, and suddenly all my five little piles of English Paper Pieces disappeared! 
Cat Helps with Patchwork and Quilting

Where was the rest of the block?
 
 
It's great to have help, but Sparky seems to be magnetically attracted to my patchwork block pieces, and saw them as a nice change from his usual resting place - the television remote control!

Anyway, today is 17th of the month, so it is Help for Hexi-Aholics over at Sarah Did It!  Strictly I don't have any Hexi projects on the go, but with all my English Paper Piecing, I think I can make a valid contribution - especially if I showcase my 'Hexi Table'!  (OK, strictly an octagon, but I KNOW they won't be fussy).  If you have any long standing Hexi Projects, pop over there and share it.
 
'Hexi' Octagonal Wooden Table Fabadashery
'Hexi' Octagonal Wooden Table

NUMBER OF PIECES: 52
DIFFICULTY: 6/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 3/4" (19mm) x 3/4" (19mm) x 1 1/16" (27mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1 3/16" (36mm) x 1 3/16" (36mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Reunion Cherry Sally's Skirt by Sweetwater for Moda #5473
Kona Cotton (Solid Red) by Robert Kaufman
Tangled Threads in Apple Red, Mama Said Sew, by Sweetwater for Moda
Tangled Threads in Apple Red on Cream, Mama Said Sew, by Sweetwater for Moda

Linking up with Freshly Pieced too!

7 comments:

  1. You remembered the table!!! And how kind of Sparky to hold your pieces in place. They must be more comfy than the remote...

    Not sure if it will help but I was doing some EPP projects with lots of parts and I was told to use highlighters to make lines over the block before cutting it apart and then you easily know how they go back together. I use all 5 colors I have on some blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought Sparky had eaten them! LOL I have a cat who eats socks and just pray that she does not graduate to quilt blocks, so far she has only strayed to one nightgown when she was younger and recently a pair of my husband's underwear! Sparky is a gorgeous cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done block! That's a lot of bias sides - wow - you did a terrific job on it. Fun "hexie" (sort of) table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block! Love the cat! Mine just claims the quilt I am working on at any given moment!
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt DOT wordpress DOT com
    esthersipatchandquilt AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, I like the plain sashing and the cornerstone you have designed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this block, very impressive stitching.
    Chris
    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty and I love your furry assistant/fabric keeper too!

    ReplyDelete